Bursting Balloons !

Bursting Balloons !
click on image for more

Friday, June 11, 2010

Tokina 11-16mm F2.8

I've had this lens for a week and after the first day it was already my favourite lens .
The fact that it is a constant F2.8 lens really adds to its 'likability' . The build quality is good and it feels well made - but time will tell , though Tokina does have a good reputation .I've owned the Sigma 10-20 mm lens and though I enjoyed using it I didn't like the softness and the strange distortion near the edges - straight lines don't have that normal constant curvature on them , they suddenly drop off near the ends .
Not so with the Tokina - for those of you who really worry about distortion I took two images of a wall at 11mm and 16mm .
The distortion is much more natural than with the Sigma 10-20mm .






There isn't much distortion at 16mm though with a lens like this most of the time you are at 11mm , and shooting things like landscapes where the distortion on the edges isn't such an issue anyway .


Here are a few images I've shot with this lens in the last week :
A shop in Raglan , New Zealand .




Bridal Veil falls near Raglan .






The Lookout near Raglan .




An old couch next to Lake Rotorua .




Statues at the lookout near Raglan





And an edited version ...




The good thing about a lens like this is that people don't even think it's possible that they may be in the picture when they see you pointing the lens to the side of where they are sitting .




As I mentioned this is my favourite lens and it may be a long time before it leaves my D90 :) .








No comments:

Post a Comment